Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why Brad Pitt lost major points with me....

I was reading an article about the California Proposition 8. According to Wikipedia, the California proposition 8 argued for exclusively heterosexual marriage and claimed that failure to reverse a California Supreme Court ruling from May 2008 that recognized a right of same-sex couples to marry would damage society, require changes to what was taught in schools about marriage, and threaten the free exercise of religion. The opponents argued that eliminating the rights of any Californian and mandating that one group of people be treated differently from everyone else was unfair and wrong.

Brad Pitt was quoted saying, "Because no one has the right to deny another their life, even though they disagree with it, because everyone has the right to live the life they so desire if it doesn’t harm another and because discrimination has no place in America, my vote will be for equality and against Proposition 8” (quoted from the bostonherald.com).

It makes me sick to think that we as humans are so invovled in what the world says is ok and what the world says is not ok that we fail to remember what our creator demands is right and wrong. We as a society do not even realize the harm we are doing to God's kingdom because we can't see past worldly laws. God specifially states that all sin (lying, cheating, stealing, greed, homosexuality...etc.) is wrong. Every sin is equal. Our world says that if you steal, kill or rape you go to jail, but homosexuality is accepted? NO! this isn't what God has told us. Brad Pitt must not really understand our God, or maybe like most of us, he's just too wrapped up in the world to remember. We do not have the right to live a life that is sinful. Our lives are not our own. God gave us our lives and he can easily take it away. He gave us our lives to live holy as he is.

Most of you may not know how hard it is for me to say these things out loud. I am a people pleaser and I hate confrontation. I know my thoughts may hurt some people i love, in particular, my brother. My brother came out to my family that he was gay several years ago. I have spent all the years since then ignoring the fact that he is gay. I have even questioned if there was a point to the laws God has set for us. I have sat back and fallen into the worlds views of homosexuality. But i can not, and i will not let that continue. I feel like i just woke up and realized how ignorant i have been! It is not ok for me to sit back and say, "it's ok. You're gay, that's just who you are" and because i do not have the right or the power to judge another, i need to say "I love you, and i accept YOU... but i do not accept your lifestyle." Just as when i am sinning, wether its lying or stealing or whatever, people who love me would say the same!

I am just so infuriated at the world we live in. It's not just homosexuality, it's with pre-marital sex, violence and many other sinful things. These sins may not be "harming" anyone physically, but that is not the point. The point is, is that we are a society that has forgotten God. We have forgotten his comands and have instead been living to our own standards.


God,

I pray that you open this world's eyes as you have opened mine. We are lost in sin and have forgotten your ways. Take away all of the things that blind us from your standards. Break our hearts and return us to the right path. We need to remember that living in sin is NOT OK.

No comments: